THE FORMULA FOR FRIENDSHIP
1 Samuel 18:1-5
After David had finished talking with Saul, he met Jonathan, the king’s son. There was an immediate bond between them, for Jonathan loved David. 2 From that day on Saul kept David with him and wouldn’t let him return home. 3 And Jonathan made a solemn pact with David, because he loved him as he loved himself.4 Jonathan sealed the pact by taking off his robe and giving it to David, together with his tunic, sword, bow, and belt. 5 Whatever Saul asked David to do, David did it successfully. So Saul made him a commander over the men of war, an appointment that was welcomed by the people and Saul’s officers alike. (NLT)
Four marks of a true friendship
I. A SELFLESS RELATIONSHIP
- 1 Sam. 18:1 – “. . . Jonathan loved David.”
- 1 Sam. 18:3 – “. . . Because he loved him as he loved himself.”
- Prov. 18:24 - “there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.”
II. A STEADFAST RELATIONSHIP
- 1 Samuel 18:3—And Jonathan made a solemn pact with David, because he loved him as he loved himself.
- 1 Samuel 20: 42 - Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the LORD, saying, ‘The LORD is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants forever.’ Then David left, and Jonathan went back to the town.”
- Proverbs 17:17 (NLT) - A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.
- Proverbs 27:10 (NLT) - Never abandon a friend . . .
III. A SACRIFICIAL RELATIONSHIP
- 1 Samuel 18:4—“Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.”
- 1 Samuel 20:4 - “Then said Jonathan to David, ‘Whatever you want me to do, I’ll do it for you. ”
IV. A SANCTIFYING RELATIONSHIP
- Proverbs 27:6 - “Wounds from a friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.”
- Proverbs 27:17—“As iron sharpens iron so a friend sharpens a friend. ”
- Proverbs 18:24 - A man has friends because he shows himself friendly. (paraphrased)
- Galatians 6:7--Be not deceived, God is not mocked for whatsoever a man sows that shall he also reap.
Featuring a Special Number by Bro. Mike
Audio Format Friend Day message by Ptr. Gil Diokno