DO NOT LOSE HEART
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
I. AN INCREDIBLE STATEMENT
V.16a - “Therefore we do not lose heart…”
- 2 Corinthians 11:24–28 (ESV) - Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; 26 on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, ->
- . . . danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; 27 in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 28 And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.
- Psalm 55:6 (ESV) - And I say, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest;
II. A FAMILIAR STRUGGLE
- V.16b - Even though our outward man is perishing . . .
- Matthew 6:20 (ESV) - but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
- Romans 8:22–23 (ESV) - For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.
- Hebrews 9:27 (ESV) - And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,
- 2 Corinthians 4:7 - We have this treasure in earthen vessels”.
- 2 Corinthians 4:8–10 (ESV) - We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.
- 2 Corinthians 4:12a (ESV) - So death is at work in us, . . .
III. A WONDERFUL SECRET
THREE IMPORTANT REALIZATIONS:
1. We are given fresh strength
for every day.
- v.16c says “the inward man is renewed day by day”.
- Lamentations 3:22–23 (ESV) - The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; 23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
- Deuteronomy 33:25b - “…and as thy days, so shall thy strength be.”
2. Nothing we face in this life
will last forever.
- V.17a - “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment,”
- 2 Corinthians 1:8 (ESV) - For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself.
- Romans 8:18 (ESV) - For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
- V.18 - while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
- Psalm 30:5b - …weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.”
- That’s how Moses made it – Heb. 11:27
- That’s how Abraham made it – Heb. 11:9-10
- That’s how Stephen made it – Acts 7:55
- THAT IS HOW
YOU’RE GOING TO MAKE IT!
3. Everything we face in life
- v. 17b that our “affliction is working for us”
- Romans 8:28 (NKJV) - And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
- Romans 8:18 (NKJV) - For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.